Monday, 4 October 2010

Well, Wales was nice, my Dad seemed quite pleased with his present, and I borrowed a few books off of my Mum relating to my house building aspirations. Didn't actually do any BMW though.

I did poke a few pieces of steel in a desultory fashion, and wander around looking for the springs that I'm sure I've seen in the last couple of weeks, and even got as far as sawing off a length of 10mm square bar with the idea of making the tongue for the seat catch, only to discover that the compression spring I had was 12mm in diameter. It wasn't an insoluble problem, but it would have meant a lot more work for a less efficient finished product. The idea of expending extra effort to make something that works less well because I haven't tracked down either a spring to match the metal, or some metal to match the spring, seems fundamentally stupid to me. As I had some other things that needed working on to meet a real world deadline (as opposed to a self impoosed, blog related one) I didn't manage to find the time to run around, source and acquire what I needed. I suppose I could have made a start on the frame braces, but I find that having a motorcycle project with too many unfinished jobs on it is depressing. You reach a point where you feel there's not much left to do, and remember that there are in fact lots of little things left to do, so not only is it a long list but it's all the jobs that you couldn't muster the enthusiasm to do at the time.

On the other hand, if you stick to getting the irritating, fiddly little jobs done instead of rushing ahead and doing something you're looking forward to doing, then you (or at least I) are more highly motivated to get the job at hand finished.

With that in mind, I'll leave you there and hope to have the seat base sorted out in time for next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment