Sunday, 12 December 2010
Raiders of the Lost Parts
Despite the auguries to the contrary, I did actually manage to make some tangible progress on the BMW this week. It started badly with my trying to get some one on the phone who knew about Acewell digital speedos, as I'm a bit unclear about which would best serve my needs, and failing miserably at that.
Havng arrived at Friday slightly tired, dazed, and not entirely sure why I was in the workshop, I turned around and got back in my car, and instead of doing the sensible thing and heading for home, I went to B&Q and bought a length of 12mm threaded bar, and some suitable nuts and washers.
The reason for buying it was that I couldn't find the original fine thread nuts that went on the two original engine mounting studs, which meant that I couldn't tighten the engine mounts, which in turm meant that I couldn't make sure that the frame splices were correctly aligned. While threaded bar isn't suitable for use as an engine mount, it can certainly substitute for one right up to the point where the engine is fired up. Certainly in the past, I've noticed that people assume that because I've used it while constructing a frame, it's going to fine as an engine mount. The truth is that I use threaded bar for these applications because its' more convenient, the coarser thread saves time winding nuts on and off, and if I damage the thread then I haven't wrecked a stud which will have require more investment of time, energy, and often money to replace. Once I'd cut a couple of lengths of threaded bar, I cleaned up the cut ends of the frame rails and bevelled them and the splices ready for welding.