Saturday, 22 January 2011
Spaced Out and Going Nuts.
In a slightly unusual turn of events, rather than not spending any time on the BMW, this week I've probably spent too much time on it. The net result of that rash expenditure of my life isn't wildly apparent to the casual observer though. For instance the fact that the ignition coil is now mounted will escape most people as it lives under the tank, and the tank spends most of it's time on the motorcycle. Though to be fair, most people would just assume that the coil had somewhere to mount and not give it a huge amount of thought.
The bracket I came up with was rather uninspired looking considering I spent most of a day thinking about how to make it. In the end I abandoned all manner of over complicated thoughts and settled for making the mount from a piece of 1/2" strap with a couple of sets in it. Though looking at it now, I of course have what seems like a brilliant idea for something different. Luckily, as you can see, I only tacked the bracket on. I made a mount for the horn too which was a simple "L" bracket that welded to one of the small diameter brace tubes. I obviously felt happier about that one as I fully welded it.
It's fairly obvious that those two brackets didn't alter the appearance of the motorcycle, but it wasn't going anywhere without an ignition coil, and it wasn't going anywhere legally without a horn that at least worked for as long as it takes to get an MOT. Aside from the coil and the horn, I need to find a home for a regulator, a rectifier, a fuse box, and probably a few relays. Before I find homes for them however, I need to find them.
While those components are still noticeable mainly by their absence, other parts of the motorcycle were definitely noticeable by their presence, the tail end of the two Allen bolts, and their nuts that provide the location for the front of the seat base were protruding in a fashion that implied the possibility of a truly cringe worthy injury, so I cut, drilled and threaded some 1/4" plate which I then welded to the base (the mounting hooks are adjustable, so the pins don't need to be) to provide a permanent fixing that would work under the upholstery, and remove the risk of deeply personal injury.
I also got around to removing the factory fitted front fuel tank mount and replacing it with one that positioned the front of the R80 tank where I felt it belonged. The presence of an R80 to compare notes with notwithstanding, then where I felt it had to go was all I had to go on.
With the tank provided with an almost complete set of mounting hardware (I'm undecided whether to attach the rear with hex or wing nuts) it seemed like an idea to turn my attention to the drop out frame rail. The counter bored recesses in the Suzuki Bandit splices fit the head of a 10mm Allen bolt admirably. Sadly the Euro standard 17mm AF 10mm x 1.5mm nut, doesn't want to fit into it. As a solution, I bought some stainless steel 10mm couplers or tube nuts. Popping them in the lathe and turning the hex off of one end so that it would drop into the recess in the splices and then shortening them and facing the end off didn't take stupidly long, and the nuts themselves were less than a fiver from the guys down the road at Avon Stainless Fasteners (0117 972 8560) .